Sunday, September 16, 2007

Cinderella

11 Jun 2007

So, today, my students sat an exam, and I had to come home from a basketball tournament in sydney 3 days early to spend their 15 minute reading time with them, in case there were any questions. There wasn't....and my work is done.

Once again, for the last few days, I was being a nasty basketball official...and now I'm qualified to do it! But, once again, I shan't blog about that cos only 3 of you will care. Instead, i'll tell you my cinderella story.

On the second day of competition, the games ran late into the night (well 10pm), and we had watched them all. So, my brain was having a little nigh-nigh despite my eyes being open and my mouth spouting words. I hopped into the tarago and we headed off to find some dinner late at night on a public holiday.

Eventually, we found our eden, and hopped out of the car.

"where's my other shoe?" I asked, somewhat accusatorily of my fellow officials.

"we haven't got it", they immediately replied.

"Cut the crap", I wittily retorted (ok, admittedly, probably less wittily and more sulkily. Actually, the only way that would have been wittily is if there was another word in front of that. Let me demonstrate....f'kwittily.)

"Just wear your socks. It's not like you're walking on the ground", said the brightest crayon in the box.

So, i wandered into the restaurant in cow print socks. (doing nothing for the cause!)
Ate, drank, was merry. But, after dinner, when I wheeled away from the table and looked down, I was reminded of my loss (the shoes, not the leg function), and sulked again.

I convinced my tribe that we needed to go back to the stadium to look for my shoe. Somewhat reluctantly, they agreed, but when we got there, we found the carpark had logs in front of it to stop cars.

So, the only 2 people in the tarago with some sort of leg function jumped over the logs (if it was puddles the rest of us would be fine.hahahaha - probably only an Australian joke there, to everyone else reading this, i was just a dickhead), and searched
-in the dark
-in an abandoned car park
-of a rundown basketball stadium
-on the wrong side of town
- for a shoe that merely served a decorative purpose.

And you'll never guess what!!
Sitting on a log, was a little black shoe.................................
..............................................................................................
......................................................................................covered in tyre marks.
And not a moment too soon, cos it was almost midnight, and that tarago was about to turn into a pumpkin!

Cheers,
L

No comments: